Employment and financial support

When your child is diagnosed with a brain tumour, this may have a financial impact on you. Below you will find information about financial support available if you are unable to work due to your child’s diagnosis as well as further support available when you are caring for a child with a brain tumour diagnosis.

Support when you are in employment

Time off for dependents

If you need to take time off work at short notice due to an emergency with a dependent (spouse, partner, child, grandchild, parent, or someone who depends on you for care), your employer should allow you a reasonable amount of time off work.

There is no set guidance to how much time off you are allowed so it is best to speak to your employer and check any contracts and employee handbooks for further guidance.

Whether you are paid for time off for dependents is at your employers discretion.

You can find more information about this here. 

Parental leave

Parental leave allows parents the right to take time off work to look after their child’s welfare. If you have been working for a company for at least a year, you are entitled to 18 weeks of parental leave per child, with the maximum amount of leave you can take a year being 4 weeks. Parental leave is unpaid.

You can find more information about this here. 

Flexible working

If you have worked for an organisation for 26 weeks, you have a statutory right to ask for flexible working. Flexible working allows you to have a way of working that suits your needs, such as flexible start and finish times or working from home.

You can find more information about this here.

Financial support

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment that you can apply for if you are on a low income or out of work. This is a means tested benefit which replaces previous means tested benefits including Child Tax Credit. There are additional elements of Universal Credit that you may be able to apply for when you have a child with a brain tumour diagnosis, including the carer’s element and child element.

You can find some helpful information and guidance about Universal Credit here.

Disability living allowance for children

Disability living allowance is a payment that you may be able to receive if you have a child (under the age of 16) with a disability or health condition. It is not means tested but instead eligibility is based upon different factors relating to your child’s needs.

You can find out more about DLA here.

Carer’s Allowance and Carer’s Credit

If your child is eligible for DLA you may also be able to apply for Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Credit, which are both means tested.

You can find more information about these benefits by clicking the links below:

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Credit

Organisations who may be able to help

Did this information make you feel more resourced, more confident or more in control?